Privacy International seeks for two new Policy Officers for a full-time job in London.
Privacy International is looking for two new Policy Officers. One role will focus on the Global South, engaging with national, regional and international institutions; while the other will focus on the companies, regulators and countries that set standards internationally.
In our multi-year strategic plan, we are pushing for surveillance reform, building a global movement with emphasis on work in the Global South, and challenging the exploitation of data. We are looking for people to join our dynamic organisation to hold government and industry to account and demand meaningful protections and safeguards for people everywhere. We urgently need to develop and promote policies that are centred on empowering individuals, placing them in control over their data. Technology underpins much of our lives and we need to ensure it empowers people and does not betray them.
We are looking for people who are motivated to engage with issues around:
Policy Officer (Technology, Rights and the Global South): Governments across the world are moving swiftly towards more data-driven policy-making and are adopting more invasive technologies to manage societies. This affects more so those living on the margins of societies and in the Global South where there is often a lack of the legal, political and social infrastructure to enforce needed protections. We must enhance policymakers' understandings of the importance of autonomy, dignity, and self-determination as well as personal and collective security and the safety of data and infrastructure.
Policy Officer (Data Innovation and Policy): Our modern devices, networks and services are built with the capability of extracting vast amounts of personal, community and societal data without the consent of the people that it is extracted from. In addition to legal and technology advocacy, we require a person who has demonstrated an ability to communicate effectively with policy makers and regulators to achieve the goals of the organisation by bringing about incremental change. We are looking for someone who wants to help frame and shape our engagement strategy around Data Exploitation for the key stakeholders and policymakers best placed to deliver remedies.
The Policy Officers will also work with our teams focused on advocating for better privacy protections, campaigning for surveillance reform, engaging in strategic communications, on groundbreaking research and investigations, and exploring the intersection of technology and human rights.
- Degree in law, human rights, political science or international relations, or equivalent experience;
- Extensive experience in policy, campaigning, advocacy, or strategic communications;
- Detailed knowledge of:
- regional and international policy processes involved in human rights (Policy Officer - Technology, Rights, and the Global South);
- regulatory and standards bodies processes and fora involved in technology policy and rights (Policy Officer - Data Innovation and Policy).
- Demonstrable knowledge of privacy, data protection, and technology issues;
- Proactive and self-motivated individual capable of working unsupervised and taking responsibility for managing relationships with key partners, stakeholders and policy-makers;
- Exceptional communications and presentation skills, both written and oral, with a proven track record of communicating complex issues to diverse audiences;
- Strong multitasking abilities and ability to manage multiple deadlines;
- Experience of working with and in small teams;
- Experience of organising events and/or workshops.
- Knowledge of the non-profit sector and general understanding of the key institutions in i) the human rights world and/or ii) regulatory and technology policy environments;
- Fluency in at least one other language other than English, possibly Arabic, Chinese, or Spanish;
- Knowledge of and experience working in i) international human rights and familiarity with international human rights law and/or ii) technology and policy, regulation and/or standards;
- Enthusiasm for development work and willingness to travel frequently.
This post is a permanent full time position, based in our office in Clerkenwell, London.
For more information on the vacancy and the procedure of the applications, click here: http://www.eurobrussels.com/job_display/117635/Policy_Officers_PI_Privacy_International_London_United_Kingdom
PAY ATTENTION: The applications deadline is 6pm BST on Wednesday 20th July.